Accessibility is important to our customers and their communities. That's why we built voice interaction into GroundSource. It's a way for people who prefer to talk instead of text to engage with your organization. It's also a way for you to let your community tell their stories in their own voice to play on air or use in a video. Just tell folks to call your 10-digit number and listen for your prompt.
How to set up voice interaction
- Head to your Workspace and find the conversation you would like to enable voice interaction with. (Only one conversation can be voice-enabled at a time.) On the right hand side of the page, click on the link that says Copy. This will make a copy of that conversation and open it.
- Edit the title of this conversation to include the word "Voice" so that you can distinguish between the text and voice versions of this conversation.
- Set the SMS Keyword to VOICE. This tells GroundSource that this is the conversation for which you are enabling voice interaction.
- Scroll to Craft your messages. Record yourself speaking each message as a WAV file. (Audacity is the open source audio software we use.) You can edit the messages to serve as a script for your recording. And depending on the message type, you'll need to give users some additional direction.
For Text message types, add the following to your prompt: "Press pound to save this message or 7 to repeat it."
For Pick one message types, add the choices available to the user: "Press 1 for _______. Press 2 for _______." And also add "Press 7 to repeat this message" at the end.
Media file type questions will be passed over in voice interactions, so don't use them.
Message type messages will hang up on the user, so only use them at the end of the conversation.
- Upload the files by clicking the Choose file button under the Audio recording section at the bottom of the corresponding message.
- Press the ever important Save changes button below your messages.
- Test what you've built by calling the 10-digit number associated with this conversation. If you run into any trouble, reach out to use and we'll lend you a hand.