Update: You can now use this form to autogenerate an online sign up form.
At GroundSource, one of the things we focus on is conversion. And asking someone to text you while they're scrolling through their news feed or deeply engaged in what they're reading isn't the best way to convert someone from reader to textletter subscriber.
This light weight, mobile responsive online sign up form fixes that. Use this form in stories, on landing pages, and at live events to recruit sources by letting them submit their phone number.
How to use the online signup form
- GroundSource customers can use this Online sign up form builder to generate an embed code. You can read on to understand how to create them and more background on how they work.
- The form works by sending the subscriber a pre-built conversation as though they had triggered that conversation by texting in a keyword.
- Place the conversation's associated phone number and keyword in place of the PHONENUMBER (adding the number 1 before your phone number) and KEYWORD space holders in this URL:
https://app.groundsource.co/surveys/textsms/PHONENUMBER/KEYWORD/?font=arial&button=000000&buttontext=SubscribeNote to GroundSource customers outside of the US: You'll need to add your country code to this URL. As above, replace the COUNTRYCODE placeholder in this URL with your appropriate country code:
Note to GroundSource customers subscribing multiple users in person: If you're subscribing users in person on a tablet while canvassing or at an event, you'll need to adjust your URL to allow the form to subscribe multiple numbers in one browser session. Add the follow text to the end of your URL.
- Adjust the font and color of the form by replacing Arial in font=arial with your font of choice and the HEX code in button=000000 with your preferred color. You may also adjust the text of the button by replacing Subscribe in buttontext=Subscribe with your choice of words. It's not necessary to adjust these. If you don't, Arial will remain the font, black will remain the color, and subscribe will remain the call to action. (Again, we've built a form that will automatically generate the embed code for you here.)
- Visit this new URL and enter your phone number to test that it's associated with the correct conversation.
- Copy and paste the code below where appropriate and replace the standin URL with the URL for the form you just created. (Again, customers outside of the US should include the country code in the URL.)
<iframe style="min-height: 225px; width: 100%; max-width: 525px;" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" src="https://app.groundsource.co/surveys/textsms/PHONENUMBER/KEYWORD/?font=arial&button=000000&buttontext=Subscribe"></iframe>
When to use the online signup form
The key function of this feature is to reduce the barrier to engagement for your community. So use it where it would be easier for them to type their phone number in a form rather than text a keyword to your GroundSource number.
Some examples are:
- Online: in a story you've published that your GroundSource community contributed to
- Online: in a landing page for a special project or in newsletter subscription call outs
- Invitation: share the link to the form with particular members of your community like existing newsletter subscribers or community ambassadors
- In person: ask users to subscribe on an iPad when they check in at registration for an event or while canvassing in your community (Note: add &ant=false to the end of your URL to let the form subscribe more than one phone number per browser session.)